(as of Apr 12,2023 15:50:52 UTC – Details)
SAMPLE RECIPE: TILAPIA TACOS WITH CREAMY CABBAGE SLAW
1. To make the cabbage slaw, in a small bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the sour cream and lime juice and keep covered in the refrigerator.
2. To make the tacos, heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. While the pan is heating, season both sides of the fish with the cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Add the oil to the pan. When the oil reaches its smoke point, add the fish and sear on each side for 4 minutes, flipping once. Transfer the fillets to a clean plate and tent with aluminum foil.
4. Wipe out the pan with dry paper towels and return it to medium-high heat. Toast the tortillas, two at a time, for 1 minute each, flipping halfway through.
5. To assemble, break the fillets into small chunks and arrange on top of eight double stacks of tortillas. Lightly season each taco with salt and pepper and a squeeze of juice from the limes. Top with the cabbage slaw. Serve immediately.
Tilapia Taco Tuesday?
Since Taco Tuesday is actually a thing, why not make it Tilapia Taco Tuesday? Tilapia is an excellent choice for fish tacos because it’s delicate enough that it doesn’t overwhelm the other ingredients, but it’s also sturdy enough to maintain its structure. SERVES 4 (2 TACOS EACH)
VARIATION 1 -SHRIMP TACOS WITH CREAMY CABBAGE SLAW: Shrimp tacos are just as delicious and cook up even faster than tilapia!
VARIATION 2 -TILAPIA TACOS WITH AVOCADO AND BLACK BEANS: Round out the tacos and make them more robust by slipping in slices of avocado for a creamy element and adding some cooked black beans and thinly sliced radishes.
Ingredients 2 tilapia fillets (1½ pound), each cut into 4 equal pieces 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon chile powder Kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas 2 limes, quartered, for garnish
Publisher : Rockridge Press; Illustrated edition (January 7, 2020)
Language : English
Paperback : 198 pages
ISBN-10 : 1641529954
ISBN-13 : 978-1641529952
Item Weight : 1.03 pounds
Dimensions : 7.5 x 0.54 x 9.25 inches